Sunday, October 27, 2019

Story of Abdul Kader

Everyone reminded me every day that I grew old. My children reminded me that most. And they always told me that old people do not need money. Passed so many years I learned I need food to eat and bed to rest, that is all an old man’s need. No one ever thought an old man can also have some dreams, some things to do. 

People hardly asked me anything else other than talking about health and disease. My children also think there is little time left for me. But I have so many things to do before I die. Before I leave this world. And there are many small things that no one knows how badly I want to do.

I always wanted to grow more trees in my yard, wanted to buy the football that I promised to give to my great grandson and wanted to go to spend sometime in the city with my sick wife. I decided not to become the useless old man. So I started searching for a job a few months ago. Everyone listened to me carefully and showed me a lot of respect and then they asked me to go back to my house, advising me that I am not in an age to work. But I did not lose hope and continue to search for a job at the age of seventy five. When I went in the shop of Shafiq, he was repairing television.

 When I told him I was looking for a job, he cleaned his chair and asked me to sit. I was very sure to get the same treatment I always got. But he told me that he can give me little money and I have to be responsible for his cash drawer and maintain the due payments. I was very surprised and my heart was beating very fast. By gaining some courage I asked him, if he really thinks I can do the job. 

He told me that if he can build a shop after coming from the street, I also can make my dreams come true. It’s been a month I am working and got my first month salary. And I already planted a lot of trees in my yard. Almost every day I went to market to buy things for my grandchildren and great grandchildren. Now a days all things are very expensive so I am buying slowly. I will soon visit my wife too.

 My children are not happy with my decision of working but I am sure when they will see me happy they will no longer angry with me. Every day now I look forward to a dream that I was never be able to fulfill. 

- Abdul Kader

No comments:

Post a Comment